The Finals of the 2017 Edition of the Digilent Design Contest took place on May 13th and 14th. This year we had 52 teams enrolled and 25 teams (made of one, two or three students) presenting in the finals. The 25 teams came from universities in Cluj-Napoca, Baia-Mare, Constanta, Brasov, Targu Mures, Timisoara, Bucuresti(Romania), Poland, Turkey, Serbia and Hungary. On Saturday, all teams presented their hard work in front of six judges. After that, the best eight projects were chosen:
1. First place, one man team: Marcin Kowalczyk from AGH University of Science and Technology in Kracow, Poland with the project:
Object tracking pan-tilt smart camera based on a Zynq heterogeneous device
2. Second Place: Stefan Sredojevic, Tijana Petrovic, Srdjan Skala from University of Novi Sad, Serbia with the project:
Retro Gaming Console
3. Third Place: there were two of them, since they were equally good.
Selma Goga and Zelia Blaga from Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania with the project:
Cycling Assistance System Using FPGA
Andrei Bărăian, Andrei Sabău and Victor Oltean from Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania with the project:
Bin Knows Best
4. Honorable Mentions – there were four of them, all high quality, awesome projects:
Ayse COLAK, Aysenur KAPISIZ and Beliz ONCU from Cankaya University, Ankara, Turkey with the project:
Optimum Implementation of Improved Successive Cancellation Decoders for Polar Codes in FPGA Platform
Muge Genc, Burak Gokbulut, Anil Ayancik from Cankaya University, Ankara, Turkey with the project:
Faster Successive Cancellation Decoding 2 bit
Robert Oniga, Catalin Moldovan from Technical University of Cluj-Napoca and Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania with the project:
Paul Vacariu and Giani Statie from Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania with the project:
Persistence of Vision Game Display
We bring thanks to:
- The Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, for ensuring accommodation to visiting students and teachers during the competition.
- National Instruments, for hosting the event
- Jury members for the commitment and dedication displayed during the event.
Check out pictures from the event and and event summary! Thank you to everyone who participated and make sure to stay tuned for the next edition of the contest!