The Cmod, or Carrier Module, family of products is designed to offer quick, simple, and flexible integration of an FPGA into circuit design, prototyping, and learning/hobby projects.
The Digilent Cmod S6 is a small, 48-pin DIP form factor board built around a Xilinx® Spartan®-6 LX4 FPGA that brings FPGA power and prototyping to a solderless breadboard.
The board includes a programming ROM, clock source, USB programming and data transfer circuit, power supplies, and basic I/O devices. There are 46 FPGA I/O signals that are routed to 100-mil-spaced through-hole pins, making the Cmod S6 compatible with solderless breadboards. This form factor makes the Cmod S6 a great option for flexible and affordable prototyping, or learning FPGA and digital logic circuits. At just .7" by 2.6", it can also be loaded in a standard socket and used in embedded systems.
The Spartan®-6 FPGA onboard the Cmod S6 is a legacy device and is only supported by Xilinx's legacy ISE Design Suite. See the Software tab for more details.
For newer designs, we recommend the Cmod S7, featuring the newer Spartan-7 FPGA. There is also a Cmod A7, featuring an Artix-7 FPGA, which offers additional performance and transceiver lines for more demanding applications.
Guides and demos are available to help users get started quickly with the Cmod S6. These can be found through the Support Materials tab.
- Xilinx Spartan-6 XC6SLX4-2CPG196 FPGA
- 600 slices (each with 4 LUTs and eight flip-flops)
- 8 DSP slices
- 216Kbits of block RAM
- 2 CMTs (4 DCMs and 2 PLLs)
- 16 MB Spansion® Quad SPI Flash for storing FPGA configurations and/or user data
- 46 FPGA GPIO signals brought to DIP pins
- Two on-board clock sources
- Requires a USB A to micro-B USB cable for configuration (not included)
- 4 user LEDs and 2 user buttons
- On-board Adept USB2 port for configuration, test, and communications interfaces
- Cmod S6 Module
- Custom Digilent cardboard box with protective foam
The Cmod S6 can be programmed with Digilent's Adept software. Digilent Adept is a unique and powerful solution which allows you to communicate with Digilent system boards and a wide assortment of logic devices. Find out more about Adept here.
To create and modify designs for your Cmod S6, you can use Xilinx's ISE Design Suite. (The Spartan-6 family of FPGA are not supported for development in Vivado design Suite.)