Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) Getting Started Guide
This guide will get you started with your new Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250), from getting it out of the box to taking your first measurement.
- Your new Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250)
- 40 pin (34 signal) connector for Mixed Signal Oscilloscope Connections
- 14 pin (8 channel) Digital Inputs and Outputs (PN 163-667)
- 6 pin connector for Power Supply Connections (PN 163-668)
- USB A to B cable
- North American Power Supply Cable
- International Power Adapter (PN 300-008)
- International Power Adapter (PN 300-009)
- A Windows computer and the WaveForms application installer (version 3.16.32 or later)
- The installer for Windows can be found here: WaveForms installers.
- You will also need some BNC Oscilloscope probes and minigrabber cables for the Scope inputs and AWG output
2. Download and Install WaveForms
Digilent's WaveForms application provides a user interface to the Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250). Please download the WaveForms Windows installer. If WaveForms is already installed, please make sure that it is up to date (version 3.16.32 or later).
Check the Inventory section, above, for the download link.
- Installing WaveForms : Windows
Open the Executable File
Open the executable file that you downloaded.
Launch the WaveForms installer, by clicking on it in the Downloads folder. Upon launching the WaveForms installer, the welcome page will be seen. Click Next.
Read the license agreement on this screen, then, if in agreement to it, click I Agree to continue.
In the “Choose Components” screen, a list is presented of each of the things that can be installed. In order to use the Analog Discovery 2 with the WaveForms application, the Adept Runtime, WaveForms Runtime, and WaveForms Application are required.
- The Adept Runtime allows WaveForms to communicate with the Analog Discovery 2, Analog Discovery, Analog Discovery Studio, Digital Discovery, and Electronics Explorer Board.
- The WaveForms Runtime contains a library and device support files needed to run custom applications.
- The WaveForms Application is the Digilent virtual instrumentation interface.
- The WaveForms SDK is the software development kit for creating custom applications.
- If you have an ADP5250, make sure to check the box for its driver installation, to ensure that your PC will be able to communicate with the device.
Note: Even with all components selected, the WaveForms install does not take much hard drive space (<200MB). Digilent recommends that all components are installed.
Choose Install Location
- You'll need to choose an installation destination or just leave it at the default.
- Click “Install”.
Installing / Installation Complete
- WaveForms will be installed as indicated by the progress bar.
- Click “Next”.
- Check or uncheck the boxes to open WaveForms and the readme.
- Click “Finish”.
3. Take a Measurement
This section walks through using the Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) for the first time. An analog output pin is connected to an analog input pin, and a waveform is generated and captured via this simple loopback circuit.
- Take a Measurement
If you haven't yet, plug the Analog Discovery Pro’s power supply into an outlet, then plug the power supply into the Analog Discovery Pro.
Plug the Analog Discovery Pro into the computer via the USB cable.
Press the power button on the top left of the front of the unit and wait for the Analog Discovery Pro to turn on.
Take a BNC oscilloscope probe and connect it to the Analog Discovery Pro’s Oscilloscope Channel 1. Connect a BNC to minigrabber clip cable to AWG Channel 1. Connect the tips together. Set the scope probe's attenuation to 1x.
Launch the WaveForms application. Upon launch, WaveForms will automatically detect and connect to the Analog Discovery Pro in the Device Manager. If the Analog Discovery Pro is not connected to the host computer when WaveForms launches, plug in the device and turn it on, at which point it will appear in the Device Manager’s device list.
If your device doesn't show up, you can click the Refresh Stopped button to have WaveForms begin automatically refreshing the list of devices.
In WaveForms, open the Wavegen instrument by clicking on the Wavegen button in the instrument panel on the left side of the screen.
Leave all settings as defaults, and then go back to WaveForms' Welcome tab and click on the Scope button to open the Scope instrument. You will hear a small click from the Analog Discovery Pro when the oscilloscope is enabled.
To find reference materials and guides on how to use the Analog Discovery Pro and WaveForms, please visit the Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) Resource Center.
For technical support, please visit the Test and Measurement section of the Digilent Forum.